Sorority Slump

Pi Beta Phi at the University of Oklahoma has one of the largest houses on campus.

NORMAN-The university welcomed its largest freshman class in history this fall; however, a drop in Panhellenic recruitment registration numbers left sororities on campus puzzled.

Sorority recruitment at the University of Oklahoma has become one of the biggest events of the school year. With over 3,000 women, Panhellenic is the largest women’s student organization on campus.

Despite member momentum gained recently, registration numbers for sorority ‘rush’ dipped for the first time in years. So that leads to the question on the minds of many Panhellenic members, why would recruitment numbers go down when freshman enrollment is at an all-time high?

OU’s new Residential Colleges might be to blame for the drop in numbers. The new dorms offer students of any age to live in an environment with fellow students who are in the same area of academic study. Located right across from Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, the Residential Colleges offer its residents prime location for walking to class, priority housing spaces and exclusive dining halls.

Despite the decline in registrants for 2017 recruitment, Oklahoma Kappa Kappa Gamma’s President Abby Biggs is not discouraged by the opening of the Residential Halls.

“I think both the Residential Colleges and Greek Life have a similar goal in mind: to offer students a community at OU. I don’t think the new halls will detract a big number of students from rushing in the future,” Biggs said.