In an unusual step, The Oklahoma State Department of health has issued their second public exposure notice- this time, for the Oklahoma Children’s Hospital at OU Health.
On March 31, the department identified and began an immediate investigation of a confirmed measles case. Through the investigation thus far, they learned that the individual was in public settings while contagious, creating a potential risk to the public.
The locations flagged for exposure within the hospital included the main entrance atrium, atrium elevators to the lower level and emergency department during 6 p.m. to 10:15 p.m. on March 23. The Oklahoma Children’s Hospital is located at 1200 Children’s Ave., Oklahoma City.
“If an individual visited the location within the date and timeframe and is unvaccinated, unsure of vaccine or immune status, or has concerns, they are encouraged to confidentially provide their name and contact information on this form,” according to a Facebook post by the department.
The hospital notice followed one issued on March 19 asking anyone that dined at a Weatherford restaurant on that day to contact the department because they may have been exposed to measles.
The step was taken in connection with an update provided by the health department that showed 10 measles cases in the state; eight confirmed, two probable.
One additional case was identified on the Cherokee Nation reservation. But the health department worked collaboratively with the Cherokee Nation health care community and the Tulsa Health Department to complete the necessary steps when one measles case was identified in northeastern Oklahoma.
“Cherokee Nation, in working with us, identified one case of measles in the northeastern part of the state. After investigating, the Cherokee Nation Public Health, Cherokee Nation Health Services and the OSDH identified no public health risk associated with the identified case,” the health department said in an email.
Nationwide, measles cases are up nearly 70 percent from 285 in 2024 to 483 so far this year, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Fourteen percent of the patients who contracted measles this year have been hospitalized.
In Oklahoma, eight confirmed cases have been confirmed by laboratory testing. The two probable cases are categorized by showing symptoms consistent with the national standard surveillance definition and but lack a confirmatory test result or a link to a laboratory-confirmed case.
There have been no deaths or hospitalizations in the state, and all of these individuals are either unvaccinated or their status is unknown, according to the state health department.
“All cases are linked through exposures to household or extended family; and initial cases reported exposure to the measles outbreak in West Texas and New Mexico. At this time, no cases have resulted from exposure to public settings,” according to the state health department.
Most of these individuals recognized their exposure and excluded themselves from public settings, limiting public exposures, the department said.
The department called upon individuals who ate at Luigi’s Italian Restaurant & Lounge in Weatherford, Oklahoma, on March 19 from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. to contact the department.
More than 250 cases have been reported in Texas while as many as 49 have been reported in Kansas and New Mexico.
Measles is considered an immediately notifiable reportable disease by the state health department. If a healthcare provider, laboratory or hospital suspects, tests, or diagnoses an individual with measles, the department should be notified immediately.
The health department said it is encouraging individuals to be aware of measles activity occurring in Oklahoma and neighboring states. Measles can be prevented with an MMR vaccine.
Gaylord News is a reporting project of the University of Oklahoma Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication. For more stories by Gaylord News go to GaylordNews.net