OU College of Architecture hosts Oktoberfest fundraiser for financial needs

Dozens+of+college+advisory+board+members%2C+students+and+alumni+filled+Das+Boot+to+support+the+College+of+Architectures+Oktoberfest+fundraiser.+
Dozens of college advisory board members, students and alumni filled Das Boot to support the College of Architecture’s Oktoberfest fundraiser.

OU College of Architecture hosted its inaugural Oktoberfest event Friday at Das Boot to raise funds for student activities in the wake of more potential budget cuts.

Tickets were $75, and due to sponsorships, the cost of hosting the dinner was covered.

“All the money we raise is to give the (program) directors extra funds to help students out in random places over the course of the school year,” College of Architecture Dean Hans Butzer said. “Every dollar, for every ticket will go straight to helping students.”

He said the college hoped to raise $5,000 primarily to help students pay for the cost of field trips.

Butzer said the goal wasn’t only to raise money, but to bring advisory board members, alumni and students together to collaborate on new learning opportunities.

The fundraiser came the evening before Oktoberfest begins in Germany which dates back to 1810. It was traditionally a celebration of the marriage of Prince Ludwig to Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen at the end of the harvest in September and continued through the beginning of October.

The event also comes 10 days before the Oklahoma legislature will hold a special session to determine whether state agencies will undergo another 3 percent cut.

In the meantime, Butzer hopes the college won’t have to endure another cut and called on the public to support education.

“One of the best investments you can ever make is to give money to the college to support student scholarships or other enrichment opportunities,” he said.