Gaylord News is a reporting project of the University of Oklahoma Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication

Gaylord News

Gaylord News

Gaylord News

A SafeRide is a Tap Away

Students can choose between riding the bus or calling an on demand taxi.
This interactive map on the OU Innovate app shows where the bus is and how long the wait for it is.

University of Oklahoma students who need a safe way back to campus have the solution on their smartphones.

SafeRide, an initiative under OU’s Student Government Association and Student Affairs, allows students to hail a cab or bus using the OU Innovate App.

SafeRide, introduced in 2004, was designed to prevent accidents related to driving under the influence. It provides free and safe rides to students, faculty, and staff Thursday through Saturday, 10:00 p.m. – 3:00 a.m. within the Norman city limits.

“We know that students use this consistently and we know that it works” said George Ahmadi, Assistant Director for Student Affairs and Student Programs.

In March of 2017, SafeRide served 638 riders.

Safe Ride operates on a $230,000 a year budget, funded through President David Boren’s office as a larger initiative for safety of students on the campus.

Uber and Lyft, which began operating in Oklahoma in January 2015, are alternatives to SafeRide however; normal fare charges apply. Ahmadi said that their main goal is to get students home safely, regardless of rideshare company competition.

Students have had positive reactions to the SafeRide implementation via the OU Innovate App.

Jaclyn Jacobs, Chemical Engineer sophomore, said that her SafeRide experience was a positive one.

“My ride arrived as expected, I felt safe throughout the entire duration, and it allowed me to get home quickly.”