Gaylord News is a reporting project of the University of Oklahoma Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication

Gaylord News

Gaylord News

Gaylord News

Integrity Council Wants to be a Resource, Not an Enemy

This past week has been “Integrity Week,” put on by the University of Oklahoma Integrity Council.

Through several events, the council is trying to make an effort to get their name out there, and also even change their image.

“We believe that if the student population knows that we are here for them, they are going to feel comfortable coming to us,” said Jack Dastugue, the chair of the Integrity Council.

Included in Integrity Week was “Donut Cheat,” an event promoting good academic conduct and, of course, free donuts. Also included was an ethics in journalism panel, a movie night, and a guest speaker.

“The more that we can get our name out there, the more that we can get people thinking about integrity, the less likely they are to cheat,” said Mark Keilbarth, the vice-chair of operations and membership.

The Integrity Council generally wants to be regarded as a resource and an ally, not as a student’s enemy.

“The goal was to put our name out there, put on some fun events that take away some of the negative look the integrity council sometimes gets,” said Keilbarth.

The integrity council is at the University of Oklahoma to protect students from academic misconduct every bit as much as it is here to catch students cheating, if not more.

Through “Integrity Week,” the council has made a solid effort to change their perception for the betterment of all students at the university.