OU Students discuss the impact of climate change on Hurricane Irma

Starting in the Caribbean, Hurricane Irma struck southern Florida Sept. 10, affecting about 12 million people. The category 5 storm’s 400 mile path followed on the heels of Hurricane Harvey which happened a few weeks prior in Houston. Now, Hurricane Jose is in the western Atlantic ready to approach. With this trail of hurricanes within the past month, climate change has come to the forefront of national discussion.

We asked OU students what they think about the effect of climate change on Hurricane Irma. Here’s what they had to say:

“Directly it’s not our fault, but indirectly yeah it’s like a manifestation of the human condition and its brokenness,” Angel Boardingham, adult and higher education graduate student said.

“I actually do believe that Irma is created by global warming. I think that all of the sort of catastrophic events that are happening in the world are unfortunate that they are happening all at the same time but I do believe that there is a single cause for it,” Katherine Atwood, business and pre-law sophomore said.

“I think that climate change has played a very large part in size and strength of the hurricanes,” Garrett Bryant, psychology junior said.

“The earth is kind of like slowly breaking but I mean natural disasters do happen,” Emmy Yoshida, industrial and systems engineering freshman said.

“I think that it’s maybe climate change because there’s always been hurricanes it’s just that this time it’s very frequent,” Norma Gomez interior design sophomore said.