Project Threshold facing uncertain future

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

A group of emotional students marched the South Oval to voice concern following rumors involving the dismissal of Project Threshold at OU.

Project Threshold is a federally funded TRiO program designed to help students who are first generation college students, economically disadvantaged or disabled, according to its website. It has provided students with counseling, tutoring and enrollment assistance, along with many other resources, since established in 1970.

The demonstrators were met by President James Gallogly at Evans Hall, where he informed the group that Project Threshold could undergo budget cuts and restructuring but would remain on campus.

According to Eric Rollerson, Mr. Black OU and Project Threshold member, he and fellow members have remained hopeful for the program’s future.

“We’re just a little anxious,” Rollerson said. “(But) I believe President Gallogly, Jim, when he says the program will still be here, so I’m trusting him on that. All we can do is wait and see.”

According to Gallogly, the program did not receive a federal grant and will be out of funding in September or October, forcing the university to front the costs.

Until then, both students and faculty are left waiting to see what Project Threshold will look like once administration decides how to fund it.

Cornelius Woodard, human resources senior and Project Threshold member, hopes more than anything that the role of the counselors remains intact and unchanged after restructuring.

“(Mrs.) Crsytal became my mother on campus,” Woodard said. “She helped me discover things about myself that I didn’t even know was wrong, as far as my worth and my value. She let me know that I definitely am worth something in life…We need our counselors.”