Gaylord News is a reporting project of the University of Oklahoma Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication

Gaylord News

Gaylord News

Gaylord News

International students receive free housing in residential colleges

Michael Washington, a public relations junior, sits inside Headington College at the University of Oklahoma’s Norman campus on October 4, 2018. Photo by Addison Kliewer.

International students at the University of Oklahoma’s Norman campus have received free housing in residential colleges despite the university’s efforts to decrease its debt.

Headington College and Dunham College opened in 2017, and, according to a news release, were built to increase the number of campus housing options for upper-division students. However, since its opening, the colleges have failed to reach full occupancy.

During a Board of Regents meeting, OU President James Gallogly said that even at full occupancy, these residential colleges would be adding $1 million a year to the university’s debt.

However, Michael Washington, a public relations junior at OU, said because international students have received free housing, over half of the residents in Headington College and Dunham College are international or minority students.

“With the towers, you don’t necessarily have these relationships that are built or a sense of true, true friendship and love,” said Washington. “With Headington being a choice, I think it kind of reflects this idea that we are really keen on the idea of cultivating a diverse community that represents campus well.”

Because Headington College and Dunham College are two of the most expensive on-campus housing options, and with the opening of Cross Neighborhood, as well as cheaper on-campus housing like OU Traditions Square East and West, it is unclear when the residential colleges will be completely occupied.

Although Headington College and Dunham College do not offer free housing to other students, Washington said the colleges are in the process of building funds for these scholarships.