Wi-Fi still an issue despite new network

Students+using+laptops+and+other+devices+at+Dale+Hall+Classroom+Building%2C+which+is+one+of+the+highest+traffic+areas+on+campus+for+Wi-Fi+but+has+connection+issues+due+to+the+building+being+dated%2C+said+Nicholas+Key%2C+Executive+Director+of+Design%2C+Data+and+Development+for+OU+Information+Technology.+
Students using laptops and other devices at Dale Hall Classroom Building, which is one of the highest traffic areas on campus for Wi-Fi but has connection issues due to the building being dated, said Nicholas Key, Executive Director of Design, Data and Development for OU Information Technology.

Students are experiencing ongoing issues with wireless internet at the University of Oklahoma despite a switch to a new network.

On Oct. 4, OU Information Technology discontinued a wireless network called “OUWIFI” and switched to a new network called “WIFI@OU.” The switch created a more secure network for users, according to the OU IT website.

However, students on the Norman campus have had connection frustrations with the new network and have claimed there is little to no improvement.

“The new WiFi is not any better than what we’ve had before,” said Alison Chenowith, a junior on campus. “It’s especially bad at Dale [Hall]. Just the other day it went out in the middle of class and my professor had to spend five minutes trying to get her computer to work.”

OU IT declared connecting to the new network “is quick and easier than ever” in an email sent to students, faculty and staff on Oct. 4. To login, students enter their OUNet ID and password, according to the website.

While logging on may seem simple, Chenowith said she and her friends have experienced difficulties.

“I keep getting logged out even though I keep logging in,” Chenowith said. “It’s really frustrating when you’re in class or trying to do homework. I also have friends who’ve said they can’t even login because it won’t accept their information.”

OU IT has encouraged students who have experienced complications with the new network to contact them by phone or to reach out to one of their Twitter accounts.